Thursday, October 21, 2010

HERITAGE DAYS, BUTTONS AND TEDDY BEARS

Saturday was Heritage Days at Cedar Hill State Park and for several years my quilters guild has had a booth there where we demonstrate the quilting craft and talk to people about quilting.  It was a beautiful day and many people came to see our quilts, some new and some old.  One of our members has a quilt that is partly finished and she has all the parts labeled to show the anatomy of a quilt so that people can see how a quilt is made.
See the clear blue sky?  I took  a picture of the wind mill at Penn Farm (which is the part of the state park where the Heritage Days was held).
Part of my organizing from last week was cleaning off the top of our computer desk, which is located in my sewing room.   I have lots of wooden spools that were my Mom's and I put some of them in old canning jars to display them.
This is part of my button collection.  I love to keep buttons sorted in jars.
I just got these buttons at a garage sale for $1.00!
Last time we were taking care of Jonah, I started singing him a song while rocking him before his nap.  It was "The Teddy Bears' Picnic."  It is a real old song and I have the sheet music for it, so I decided to practice playing it on the piano.  I'm thinking about making a story book for Jonah and Abigail with the words of the song on each page and pictures to go with the words.  So I started taking pictures of teddy bears having a picnic in the woods.
The last phrase of the chorus is "At six o'clock, their mommies and daddies will take them home to bed, because they're tired little teddy bears."  

We'll see if I actually get the books made.



12 comments:

  1. I love your idea for the book with pictures of the teddy bears picnic for your grandkids. If you do a recording of you reading the book, that will be very special for them with Grandma's voice. Your pictures are great! I like the buttons and spools on display in jars, too. What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet it all is! I'm sure you will find time to do the book; it's already planned, and that to me would be the hard part! Cute idea! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the starbucks Christmas BEARista. Regi had one of those!

    what a button collection you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember singing along to a scratchy record version of Teddy Bears' Picnic. I hope you have a chance to make the storybooks for your grandchildren.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love collecting buttons too!! I keep them in all sorts of cool containers;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Teddy Bears' Picnic! Your book with your pictures would be such a lovely gift for your grandchildren! I hope you do make it. -Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the teddy-bear book idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that song, it was one of my favorites when I was little. We had it on a 45 and I played in on a kids record player. Love the idea for the book! It would be great as a stitching pattern, too!

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great day for Heritage Day, looks like fun.
    I have my buttons in jars too, seperated by color. Makes it easy to find one when you need one.
    Love the teddy bear book. Can't wait to see more of it. The grands will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun way to capture memories with grandma!!

    Heritage Days looks like it was a lot of fun. Sure makes it nice when the weather is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love your idea for the book and I know your grandkids will too. Your doll beds are wonderful - makes me want to make doll quilts. We have a set of doll bunk beds my husband made for my daughter when she was a little girl. They really are cute and it would be fun to fix them up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a busy gal you've been lately! Love seeing the pictures of the Teddy Bears with the tiny quilts.
    BTW http://www.funkybabymine.blogspot.com is having another giveaway! This one's even better than the last, when tiy were one of the winners.
    Janet up in Canada

    ReplyDelete