Thursday, September 22, 2011

MY GRANDMA'S WEDDING DRESS

When I was at my sister's in Illinois, I decided to bring my grandmother's wedding dress home with me (with my sister's and cousin's approval).  Previously, they had taken the dress to the historic village (Farming of Yesteryear) near Kiester, Minnesota for them to display at the church (Lime Creek Church) where my grandparents got married.  However, they had so many dresses, that it really wasn't going to be displayed and they didn't really want it.  It was then decided to bring it back to the family so we could keep it.  I plan to keep it for a while and will probably give it to my GD when she is able to take it.  She is 20 now and I think she will treasure it as I have.

It's a two piece dress made of satin and the fabric is in really good shape for it's age.  The neckline is somewhat frayed, but that is all.  My grandma was from a family of 13 children.  She was the second child and the oldest daughter.  My great-grandfather owned over 1,000 acres in Freeborn County, MN and also served as a member of the MN House of Representatives.


Trim on Sleeve

Collar

Trim on Shoulder



Albert and Ingeborg Monson, married July 1, 1899 at Lime Creek Church, Freeborn County, MN

Civil War Block #38, Ohio Star

Ten Minute Table Runner

I think the table runner took more than 10 minutes because of adding buttons and decorative stitching along the line under the buttons.  I made this with Moda's Countdown to Christmas fabric that I bought at the quilt shop Beth works at in Arlington Heights, IL.  She helped me pick it out.  I think I'll make some other ones with my stash!

17 comments:

  1. Your Grandmom's wedding dress is most unusual in the matter of color. I guess white wedding dresses hadn't quite caught on yet. It is lovely and a great example of period dress.

    Liri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dress... definitely a treasure! The photo of your grandparents is priceless... and your grandmother looks lovely in the dress... Thanks for sharing your treasure with us here in Blog-land!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great treasure - both the dress and the photo of your grandparents. But what is the chain going from the neck/collar to her waist? I've never seen anything like that before... The block and table runner are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed your post about your grandmothers wedding dress...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful treasure. The picture of them with their hands behind their backs is great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exquisite wedding dress! Beautiful bride and handsome groom! Thanks for sharing the pictures, and also the one of your new CW block. It is lovely too. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photo and gown --what wonderful pieces of family history. And of social mores and fashion history --what a change with the flapper era coming less than 30 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Civil War block and tablerunner are wonderful. Thanks for sharing the picture of your grand parents. I love seeing vintage photos. Her dress is lovely with such beautiful details.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautfilly made gown and you are so fortunate to have it. What a treasure! ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful keepsake and I think the fact that you have a picture of her wearing the dress makes it even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that dress;) What a treasure;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely details on the wedding dress. Love the photo of her in the dress.
    Love the 10minute table runner, it turned out really cute

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for commenting on my blog and for introducing me to yours. The dress is unbelievable and I thank you for providing close-up photos of the details. The bride is so petite and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful dress and a treasure for sure. We think of wedding dresses as being some shade of white but I know that in past times that was not so.

    I like the use of the fabric you put in the center of your Civil War block. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Owning your grandmother's wedding dress; wow, how kool is that! It's lovely! thanks for sharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete