Saturday, May 3, 2014

QUILTING AND BINDING FINISHED ON GRADUATION QUILT

It feels so good when a quilt is all finished.  And after the 25th anniversary quilt, with "custom" quilting, it felt so good to do an "overall" quilting job.  


I again used Angela Walters "Free Motion Quilting" book for inspiration.  In fact I used the same quilting design as I did on the Virginia Bound quilt (in header).  Except, this time, I think I finally got the hang of the hook in the "Swirled Hook" design.  Some of these same shirts were used in Virginia Bound and they aren't used up yet!


They aren't perfect, but maybe you can see a few of the hooks in the close-up pictures.


This is Bonnie Hunter's "Star Gazing" pattern and again, even though there is a lot of piecing to do, it seems to go pretty fast when you follow each section in the pattern as she describes it and get the chain piecing going.






I didn't have one piece of fabric that I could use for the whole back, so I pieced it (just like Bonnie does)!  I had some of the musical fabric left from the front - mostly used in the red and light colored triangles.

The whole back.



I also had some "historic" fabric pieces and some blue that went with it all and pieced it together the best that I could.  I think you can see the quilting better in this section below.


I still need to make a label and plan to do that this next week.  Woo Hoo!  Now I can get on to some fun UFOs, hopefully!

We found out that our DGS will be going to college in Minnesota, so I think this will help keep him warm for the cold winters they have there.

Oh, BTW, I didn't start anything new in April.

16 comments:

  1. It is truly a beautiful quilt, and your GS is going to love it, especially with the music fabrics scattered around! You did a great job on putting it all together and your quilting still amazes me. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful scrap quilt. Great job on the quilting! Congrats on the finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scrappiness of this quilt... and your quilting design is a perfect choice! When you tire of this... send it my way! lol! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking quilt - and well done on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful! I love the design, the scrappiness, the hooked swirl quilting...Your grandson will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fantastic job on this quilt Ruth! That hook quilting motif is difficult and you've nailed it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so wonderful. I love this quilt so much.
    Greetings Grit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! The quilting is perfect this this busy scrap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You Star Gazing quilt is wonderful! Your grandson is really going to appreciate and treasure this quilt, especially while being away from home at college. An excellent job on the quilting! Do you have a long arm machine?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot to say I love the back!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great finish! The swirled hook design really suits the quilt. I'm a huge fan of pieced backs and this one is a wonderful collection of fabrics!! It'll be good to know your grandson will be nice and warm with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great finish. Great scrappy top plus cool pieced back plus the lovely quiltink equals a quiltthat will be loved and used and used and used.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful... I love scrappy quilts like this! You did great on the quilting too!


    :)



    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic scrap quilt! a wonderful gift. the quilting looks great

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Ruth! This is a remarkable quilt. And scraps too. The quilting design really works well.

    ReplyDelete